550 Words Daily: Accountability for Writers
Spring Session: April, May, June 2018
First online meeting:
Tentatively scheduled for Tuesday, April 3 from 8:00-9:00 pm ET (5:00-6:00pm PT) — another make-up date this month TBA
An online workshop with monthly one-hour group video chats
A three-month commitment to establishing a daily writing practice (to help you write a novel, poetry collection, or anything else you want to produce) with monthly meetings in which you account for your wins…or sins.
There’s a saying: Write a million words and you can call yourself a writer.
Want to call yourself a writer in five years? Just write 550 words a day. In a month, you’ll produce 16,500 words. In a year, 200,750 words.
A novel is about 70,000 words.
If you’re familiar with NaNoWriMo, they require you to write 50,000 words in one month. That’s an average output of 1,667 words a day.
For 550 Words Daily, you just have to write 550 words a day. Every day. And account for them (see How It Works below). There are only two exceptions:
- If you’re a poet, your commitment is one poem a day.
- If you’re an experienced writer and want to swap up to two days of writing each week for editing, you may forgo your 550 words for a minimum of ONE HOUR OF EDITING. You can only do this twice during a calendar week.
How long does it take to write 550 words? Using a program or app like Flowstate or Danger Text* it’s possible to write 700 words in 15 minutes. Untimed, some writers accomplish it in half an hour while others take an hour or more.
[* Flowstate and Danger Text both operate under the same principle: you set a timer, write steadily without pausing, and once you complete that timed period, your words are saved. If you pause for 5 seconds or more, everything you’ve written fades and then disappears…permanently.]
The goal of 550 Words Daily is not to meet a total number of words overall (like NaNoWriMo), but to establish a practice of writing daily — whether you feel like it or not. At the end you will have written enough words to ‘win’ NaNoWriMo, but over a three-month period. And you’ll have gotten into the habit of writing every day.
12 slots available – $69 per session.
How It Works:
- Participants will be required to log the number of words written each day and the time of day the writing was done — you’ll record them on a Google Sheets page to which I’ll send you the link.
- Attend a monthly hour-long video group chat with sharing of struggles and successes, writing practice inspiration and guidance.
- Register to participate; if you can’t make the first meeting, don’t worry — you can still participate. The system is self-explanatory, and I’m here to answer questions.
- Depending on number enrolled, there may be several sections of 550 Daily.
The cost below is your total cost. No administrative fees are added.
Register by clicking on PayPal link below.
REGISTRATION IS CLOSED as of April 7, 2018.
NEXT SESSION WILL BE SUMMER – July-August-September.